Greetings from West Valley! Last week was a busy one at West Valley. The week of deployments and open houses always provides excitement and constant reminders that school is officially open for business and that the summer season of vacation and sleeping in a little later has ended. As you may have noticed, one of the “hot topics” in the greater Knoxville area this past week is the dress code. We wanted to share with you the board policy that we attempt to follow every day at WVMS. Please find attached the complete dress code to review at your leisure.
KCS dress code policy (complete policy attached):
The following standards will be observed in all Knox County Middle and High Schools:
1. Pants must be worn at the waist. No sagging allowed.
2. Shirts, blouses, and dresses must completely cover the abdomen, back, shoulders and must have sleeves. Shirts or tops must cover the waistband of pants, shorts, or skirts with no midriff visible. Low-cut blouses, shirts, or tops or extremely tight tops, tube tops, or any top that exposes cleavage are prohibited.
3. Head apparel, except for religious or medical purposes, must not be worn inside the school building.
4. Footwear is required and must be safe and appropriate for indoor and outdoor activity.
5. Clothing and accessories such as backpacks, patches, jewelry, and notebooks must not display (1) racial or ethnic slurs/symbols, (2) gang affiliations, (3) disruptive, vulgar, or sexually suggestive language or images; nor, should they promote products which students may not legally buy; such as alcohol, tobacco, and illegal drugs.
6. Skirts, dresses, and shorts must be beyond fingertip length.
7. Sleepwear, pajamas, and/or blankets cannot be worn in school.
8. Prohibited items include (1) large, long and/or heavy chains, (2) studded or chained accessories, (3) sunglasses, except for health purposes, (4) sleepwear, and (5) skin-tight outer materials without appropriate coverage.
NOTE – WVMS Appropriate Coverage for leggings/skin tight outer materials will be a shirt/blouse/top that fully covers the bottom/posterior.
We look forward to having a great week of school and, as always, feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
David Claxton, Beth Howard, and Robin Curry | WVMS Administration